King’s is arguably the most famous of the colleges. It was founded in 1441 by a 19-year-old Henry VI, one year after he had founded the famous boy’s boarding school Eton. Originally, only boys who had been to Eton were admitted, and only seventy fellows at a time could be at the college.
The Front Court is located behind the beautiful Gothic-revival front gates. It has a fountain with a statue of Henry VI on top. To the west there is the Gibbs building, built in the 18th century and the buildings on the south side of Front Court were added in the 19th century, as was the screen that border’s King’s Parade. They contain the library, the fellow’s offices, the buttery and the student bar!
King’s College Chapel
The college is famous for its chapel. Henry VI laid the foundation stone in 1446, and it took almost a hundred years to complete, with construction being constantly interrupted by the Wars of the Roses in the late 15TH century. Henry did not live to see the chapel complete.
The chapel is one of the finest examples of late-medieval gothic architecture in the world. It is done is perpendicular style, a late gothic type of architecture characterized by vertical and elongated buildings
Xu Zhimo’s Saying Goodbye to Cambridge
Xu Zhimo is a renowned 20th Century Chinese poet, is commemorated in Cambridge with a stone of white Beijing marble, which is installed after the bridge leading to the backs in King’s College. It bears the first two and last two lines from Xu’s best-known